Your new friends may be cool, but when they ask for your bank account number, look out for these top
10 11 warning signs that you just joined a cult.
- The dress code for men and women is a flowing, one-piece outfit in the same color
- You are renamed by the head of the group after a plant, weather feature, or astronomy term.
- The group repeats strange activities that have no apparent outcomes.
- No one laughs when you accidentally show up in the dining hall with your flowing, one-piece outfit on backwards.
- Scientific terms like “energy” and “evolve” are used to describe personal growth, while words like “attunement” and “harmonization” and “instinctual” are used repeatedly in everyday conversations and always said with a supremely peaceful face.
- Every conversation involves someone lovingly touching your arm.
- You find yourself saying things like this to your family and friends: “People on the outside could never understand, but those of us in the community will continue to share its loving goodness.”
- Sex is associated with advancing to the next “level.”
- Morning meditation is followed by target practice.
- Synchronized drinking is a popular activity.
- Every time you try to leave, the members of the group hold an intervention–which involves talking about your feelings and the other people asking you “what’s this really about?” … until you admit that you were wrong and decide to stay.
Photo of John Friend, founder of Anusara Yoga: Reverie Hound